Thursday, July 03, 2008

Do U Believe?


How do you prepare the kids of today to be caring adults of tomorrow?

Teacher Ms. Amanda Trei may have the answer.

"I believe strongly that a social and moral conscience needs to start at an early age," said the Grade 1 teacher at Lawrence Public Schools.

"I love the idea of children working for children."

It's why she graciously asked her students and their parents not to buy end-of-year teacher gifts but instead make a donation to the Fresh Air Fund – "the charity of choice for my classroom" – and give a gift that keeps on giving.

"I have more than I need, but there are so many children that who have very little," she said, adding that reaching out to those who can't help themselves is a theme in her classroom. It gives her young students, who are 6 & 7 years old, a different perspective on the challenges other less-fortunate children face when growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment