Friday, June 04, 2010

RePurpose.


Last night, I saw a commercial for Samuel Adams celebrating that they hold a mere 0.9% of the brewery market share. The ad clearly stated that they were dedicated to creating an artisan brew for people who love a beer that is truly spectacular, and that they’re not particularly worried about the rest of the market. This message is very different from the beer makers who want the majority of the market but may not be as dedicated to the art of brewing.
This commercial couldn’t have come at a better time.  Even though in my head I know I am not for every client . . . that realistically I don’t even have the time to photograph every client, I am still disappointed when someone decides not to book. It is like the nervous, starting-out-photographer I was six months ago takes control of my emotions + forgets that I have a target market!
The message from Sam Adams reminded me that I am an artisan photographer. I am a portrait lifestyle photographer focusing on finding connections inside the everyday.  It’s the small moments in life that hold all the deep meaning that I’m searching for, one click at a time.  I’m a creative person who has a special niche for my portraits.  I’m for people who want to preserve memories + document journeys+ tell stories.  I do not need the majority of the market to feel good about my business. It’s doing beautifully even with it’s minority share.
So go crack open a cold one (or if you’re like me, really, pour a glass of vino) and have a great night everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment