Monday, April 06, 2015

[Enough] Is Enough.

Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself putting it back together. -Unknown


There was a time when I was quite black-and-white with relationships. I either trusted you implicitly, assuming you’d never intentionally hurt me, or believed you wanted to cause me pain and questioned everything you did. Eventually I realized I was limiting my relationships by not recognizing the grey area, where people are human and they need forgiveness and understanding. But this is where it gets confusing. On the one hand, I often create a lot of meaning in my head that isn’t really there. I may feel convinced someone intended to be rude, inconsiderate, or thoughtless when really that wasn’t the case. On the other hand, sometimes actions speak louder than words, and our interpretations may be accurate. Sometimes someone is knowingly hurtful or neglectful. We need to be able to recognize that or we’ll end up feeling disempowered, disrespected, and stuck.
No matter what you’ve done or how you sometimes struggle, you deserve to be in healthy relationships with people who treat you well. The question now becomes: Can you treat yourself kindly and walk away from what you know isn’t right?


1 comment:

  1. I've thought about this while evaluating my past relationships and you have a point with regards to the dilemma of forgiving or walking away. It's hard to make choices but somehow at some point, a line must be drawn. You can try making things work (pride lowered and all) but if it doesn't feel right anymore (and you've exhausted yourself from trying), it's okay to walk away. No regrets. It's a favor to yourself, saving yourself for someone more deserving :)

    Eleigh
    www.misseleighneux.com

    ReplyDelete