Friday, January 03, 2014

[Time] Is A Funny Thing.

There's something incredible about face-face contact.

I'll be quite candid when I say that one of my biggest struggles since moving from Kansas has been learning how to keep in touch with friends (and meet new ones)! Regardless of how small or big this place is and how many people live here, it's actually quite difficult to meet new people.

And when you do meet someone new, there's a big chance that you might not see them again for a month or so. Most of us claim that we're too busy, but are we really?

In reality, I think we hide behind our phones, social media, "busy schedules" and text messages because it's simply easier that way. We convince ourselves that it's not worth the time or effort to put down the technology and just meet someone for dinner.

Last night, I was lucky enough to spend real time with a new friend.
We to supper.
We walked.
We talked about life.
We talked about how busy we were.
We talked about how good it felt to just sit and talk.

During our conversation, he asked me if I had time for all the things I was passionate about. I thought about it for a moment, and quite frankly started to doubt that I actually did have time. But then I responded by saying "yes." I do have time. Because for the things I care most deeply about, I'll make time.

Confusing Truth: We all have time.

Yes, even the person who works 12 hour days has time (I do too!). The key is learning how to put the most important things first. And for me, that'll soon mean a lot more face-face contact and phone calls "just because."

Because people matter.

And it's the people in my life, that make every second worth living.



No comments:

Post a Comment