Wednesday, July 17, 2013

[Brave].

Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we will ever do.” Dr. BrenĂ© Brown

Over the course of my life, I have been very fond of saying that my time to shine is the exact moment when the cracks start to show and things begin to unravel.
I have a love for the exact second when things shift from pretty to vulnerable, when I allow myself to be truly witnessed by others. For me, this happens only rarely; in glimpses and moments of exhaustion and it is the continual practice of becoming, unwinding, and unfurling.  And, yet, my own personal relationship with vulnerability has always been a cautious one. Carefully constructed. Unraveling, but still pulled together. Comfortable in my emotional risk taking.  So how big is your brave?  This beautiful quote above has inspired me to lean into my vulnerability, dig into my courage and express myself from the heart.  I’m not really sure how to start, so I’ll begin with a list;

I know what it feels like to wear your heart on your sleeve, and it gets bruised easily…
I know what it feels like to be passionate and have a tendency to get overly emotional…
I know what it feels like to struggle with letting people in and showing up…
I know what it feels like to love myself completely; stretch marks and wobbly arms included…
I know what it feels like to be ashamed of your body or your struggle…
I know what it feels like to be moved by my photography and why it can be a powerful tool for healing…
I know what it feels like to share your story with others and be totally vulnerable…
I know what it feels like to use words and writing so they heal my soul…
I know what it feels like to be so mad, you go into this blind rage…
I know what it feels like to be so heartbroken; you can’t even look at yourself in the mirror without bursting into tears…
I know what it feels like to know times of pure joy and happiness…
I know what it feels like to make it through hard times…
I know what it feels like when you take a deep breath and suddenly everything feels like it’s going to be okay…
I know what it feels like what the world stops spinning for a second, and everything is clear, I need more of those moments…

I know what it feels like when you don’t have to be tough every minute of every day, and it’s okay to let down your guard…





No comments:

Post a Comment